Let’s learn about the Letter U today.
1. What does the letter U u look like? Show your child the uppercase and lowercase U. Talk about the differences and similarities.
2. What sound does U make? U makes 2 sounds the short U sound like uncle and up, and the long U sound like unicorn and universe. I like to sing a song with the students:
U says /u/(long like unicorn)
U says /u/(short like up).
Every letter makes a sound.
U says /u/(long) and /u/(short).
3. Talk about words/objects that start with U. Show pictures of objects that start with U.
4. Color U objects on a coloring page or challenge your child to draw a picture of something that starts with U.
5. Search for items around your house that begin with U.
6. Play a game where everyone takes a turn stating a new U word. The game is over when someone repeats an U word already stated.
7. Practice tracing and writing the letter U.
Practice writing words that start with U.
Make a U Book…each page is an object that starts with U.
Read a book about something that starts with U like a unicorn book or book with an umbrella.
Try to find the letter U in the newspaper, a magazine, a book or while you are on a walk…I Spy the letter U
Try making a U with ojbects…put rocks,legos, etc in place to make a U, use sticks to make a U, etc
Have fun with the letter U today!